I've posted before about my problems getting the old-style Econet back up and running. I'm still having problems.
I'm also limited by the machines I have available to test things out with...
BUT so far, I've got the following working.
- Station 103, a Model B. This one one of the ones I obtained recently. Along with my 6502dvd second processor this is running a Level 2 fileserver.
- Station 101, a Model B, pretty vanilla. This is one of my original machines that ran the BBS 20 years ago.
And because I now have a known working pair of machines, I can now determine that...
- at least one of the cables I was using to test things with, doesn't work.
- the Master 128, station 40, I was running the fileserver on before will only occasionally see station 103, giving variouslly Net Jammed, Not Listening or Not Present errors.
- the A5000 still can't see anything, nor anything it. Since I swapped over the econet modules in this and Station 40, it looks like both may be dead.
- ..as might be a loose module I tried, which came loose in a box along with two others, one badly repaired, and a pile of chis... I don't like swaping them about in Stn 40, though, as it's under a replay board that I have to take out first.
- a Master 128 from the recent haul behaves exactly the same ...
So, I've got two Model Bs working, but nothing later. If I had at least one Master that was working 100%, then I could start swapping modules about to test them.
The only other econet-fitted machines are a Master with no battery pack (well, it DID have one, but it was a bit of a mess, and the keyboard has lots of dead keys anyway..) and a German Model B which has a dead PSU.
Time to drag out the other Masters that don't have econet fitted, see if I can get any of the modules working. After that, it's time to desolder the line drivers..