Hicups and Hostings
Ok. Part of my retrochalllenge entry was to get the viewdata website sorted out - it's been in the process of being Wikified for over a year now! Some of the work involved in that relates to simply translating the article markup from one markup language to another, but it also means I need to re-write all my custom plugins too. And to do that, I need to finish the re-write of the viewdataviewer code... and holding me back on all of this was a webhost that made everything behave as if I was walking through molasses whenever I tried to change anything.. It used to be pretty good, but as with all shared webhosts, seems to have become oversubscribed and slowed to a crawl as a result. Add in a good stir of never-updates, some virus infections, and I should have waved them goodbye a long time ago!
Anyway, I've taken the plunge and shifted my hosting... I'm now renting a VPS which means I'm effectively in control of my own server (albeit merely a tiny part of someone else's system) but I can keep everything up to date, and I don't have to worry about somebody else letting a virus in. It's very nippy, compared to the previous host anyway, so I'm satisfied. Maybe I'll not see visitors getting fed up waiting for the next page, now .. (how they would have coped at V23 speeds I do not know ...)
As of yet, there's no new content (although I've got a little titbit waiting to be released - thanks Ant) but that's because it's taken about a week to get everything shifted over - there's 17 websites to deal with! Most are placeholders or simple html-only things, but there are a few complicated ones. But everything seems to work.. phew.... now to concentrate on more interesting things...
The other part of the challenge is re-working the hardware running the BBS. This, I might not manage. Rather than tidying up the mess in the photo, it's got worse! I had to move everything on the left over in order for a surveyor to examine the floor joists - back in 2008 we got a builder in to put in a "proper floor" and better access, so we could actually use the space, among other things. Unfortunately, he turned into one of those cowboys you see on the TV, and did a job that nto even the worst DIY nut would be proud of. There's a lot more to tell, which I'll no doubt blog about eventually, but there's a chance we might finally get some of it sorted soon. This, unfortunately, will mean packing everything up from up there while it's done, making it impossible to do the BBS side of things.